03 June, 2008

Origins

What in the world are we doing???

This project started when I read an article in the Wall Street Journal about "cook through" blogs. Take a cookbook, cook everything in it, blog about what you're doing. The idea sounded like something I could have a lot of fun with, even though I can't cook, and I started hashing out ideas.

Scott was drafted almost immediately. In our house, he's the one who cooks 3/4 of what we eat. I HATE touching raw meat, and therefore generally cook vegetarian or ground beef. He's more versed in how to cook, and isn't squeamish about what he cooks.

After I got Scott on board, I sprung on him that I wanted to find a healthy cookbook to go through. We need it: Find something to eat when craving fried chicken. Find a casserole as easy as shepherd's pie that's not loaded down with beef and cheese. Find an easy dessert that isn't ice cream!

So we spent the afternoon today at Barnes & Noble, flipping through lots of cookbooks. I thought it would be fun, and that we would have a tough time narrowing down all the choices. I was wrong. Even the non-healthy cookbooks were full of olives, feta, salmon and other ingredients that neither of us really wants to eat.

In the end, we settled on Great Recipes Collection Diabetic Meals. I figured that while diabetic diets don't necessarily equate to low-fat, the recipes were designed to be healthy and well-balanced. This book had more recipes that Scott and I could agree on, has pictures of each dish, and doesn't require "mad skillz" to pull off.

...and it was marked down to $9.95!

Our goal is to cook every recipe. We're not going in order, and we're not guaranteeing a certain number per week. We are going to have fun with this, learn to appreciate new flavors, and we're going to eat some tasty healthy food. Oh - and we're not posting the recipes. If you want to play along, buy the book! (did I mention it was less than $10? oh - yes I did!)

We're also going to use this blog as a place to talk about new wines (me!) and beers (Scott!) that we try, recipes we find elsewhere, and anything else related to food & drinks.

Thanks for visiting, and we hope you stick around for the food!

2 comments:

Janette said...

I'm going to skip the fun of trying to get Jon to agree on the book this time. I'm just going to cook along with you and he can either eat it or starve! ;-P

The our library system doesn't have the book so I'm taking the plunge and buying it site unseen from Amazon. I'm encouraged that you said there's few to no salmon recipes...but you may find me adding feta and olives to some dishes!

Jamie said...

There *are* a handful of salmon dishes, but we plan to find a different fish to substitute. We decided right away that substitutions would be allowed!