17 June, 2008

Kitchen Safety

We have no new recipes to share today. Scott's work schedule is askew this week and he hasn't had a day off yet, so we probably won't make it to the store until Thursday. I was planning on making the Country Apricot Tart last week, but I left my dozen apricots in their plastic bag a few days too long and they rotted.

So... I thought I'd post a little about stupid kitchen injuries. We have already discussed the perils of grabbing the probe thermometer with our bare fingers. And just this morning, I learned that the stove top gets really hot after you've had the big front burner on medium-high for 45 minutes. I learned this lesson through a wet paper towel. Ahh, steam-cleaned finger tips!

Of course, I should have realized that the drips of pancake batter that I had spilled were actually turning into mini pancakes right there on the stove. I guess I had it coming.

...sort of like how Scott had it coming when he decided not to bother with the hand guard when he was julienning some zucchini with the mandolin. The result? Julienne Hand. Look for it on a menu near you!

Perfect parallel cuts...the mark of a true artist!

1 comment:

Janette said...

Mandolins are wicked scary, I had more than a few run ins with ours at the restaurant. Now I'd rather just work on improving my poor knife skills!